Every summer when I was a child we (Mum, Dad and my little brother) would go to stay with my Grandma and Grandpa in Massachusetts. I have so many wonderful memories from those trip. One of my favourite activities was cooking with my Granny. She was a keen baker and loved to supply all the neighbouring kids with cookies and cakes. I would stand on a chair at her counter and help her bake. This involved a lot of ‘give that here’ and ‘not like that’. She was bossy but let me do everything myself with a few instructions.
Today I thought I’d share one of my favourite recipes for peanut butter cookies.
Peanut Butter Cookies:
5oz (150g) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 spoon) sea salt
4oz (100g) butter
3oz (75g) soft dark brown sugar
3oz (75g) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml spoon) vanilla essence
8oz (255g) crunchy peanut butter
1) Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and set aside. I leave the salt out if the peanut butter already has salt in it.
2) Cream the butter and sugars together until soft and fluffy.
3) Lightly mix in the egg and vanilla essence.
4) Stir in the peanut butter.
5) Gradually stir in the flour.
6) If you have time leave the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This makes it easier to handle.
7) Using a teaspoon scoop out small balls and place on a baking sheet.
8) Press the balls flat using a fork.
9) Bake at gas mark 4 for 15 minutes.
10) Once cooked allow to cool on a wire tray.
Best eaten warm with a glass of cold milk or a cup of tea. Yum!!